Sunday, November 23, 2008

Watching the Friendly Skies

A few weeks ago, nearby Nellis Air Force Base had an air show. I was working while the Thunderbirds did their demonstration through the air. But I got to see them flying around a little bit from my corner. It was pretty cool. Since then I've been paying more attention to the skies while I'm at work. Being in the very North of the Las Vegas valley, and only 6 miles from Nellis, any planes above me most likely come from the AFB. The Las Vegas airport is way to the South and I think the commercial flight paths are not allowed over the Northern valley (thanks fancy homeowners!). The North Las Vegas airport (one of the most dangerous in the country) is not far (about 8 miles) but those planes also don't come this far North. There are mountains very close to the North, and more mountains just East of Nellis, so maybe that also discourages air traffic. Anyway...
I don't know what those military planes are doing, but it sure looks interesting. I see planes criss-crossing and all sorts of weird patterns of vapor trails. Sometimes I'll hear a plane (over the music from my earphones) but there will be nothing in sight. So it's a fun distraction, watching the skies.

No comments: